It’s not every day that one of your clients offers up a Super Bowl-winning football coach and a Grammy-winning recording artist for you to promote.
That’s exactly what Dr. Scott Miller did this year with Blue Ties, the largest annual event for the nonprofit that he founded, ProstAware, in the form of Joe Gibbs and Lee Greenwood. ProstAware uses music, sports and technology to create awareness in metro Atlanta for prostate cancer, which is the second-leading cause of cancer death among men in the United States.
At Lenz, we leaped at the chance to flex our PR muscles and we found the media ready and willing. The highlights included a mention of ProstAware during Gibbs’ interview with Jay Mohr on Mohr’s nationally syndicated Fox Sports Radio show (which has 4 million listeners on 250 affiliates), a mention on Gibbs’ interview on 680 The Fan, an Atlanta Journal-Constitution story in Jennifer Brett’s Peach Buzz column about the event, Gibbs’ interview with CBS 46 sports anchor Fred Kalil and Greenwood’s appearance on Good Day Atlanta.
The week leading up to Blue Ties also provided a pleasant coincidence. Fox 5, the only local news station with a dedicated medical team, aired a story about a unique and innovative surgical procedure that Dr. Miller performs. Being that September is prostate cancer awareness month, Fox 5 also aired a second segment on Dr. Miller and prostate cancer screening in the week following Blue Ties.
Below is a recap of the media hits that we had for Dr. Miller and for ProstAware:
• Wednesday, Aug. 26: 11 Alive runs an item on its website off our press release about Jerry Carnes hosting Blue Ties
• Monday, Sept. 7: AJC Peach Buzz item on on Lee Greenwood and Joe Gibbs runs online.
• Wednesday, Sept. 9: Joe Gibbs interview with Chris Dimino airs on “The Rude Awakening” on 680 The Fan.
• Wednesday, Sept. 9: Joe Gibbs interview with Jay Mohr airs on Fox Sports Radio. The show airs on 250 affiliates across the United States and has more than 4 million listeners daily. (MP3 is attached below.)
• Wednesday, Sept. 9: Fox 5 medical team story about Dr. Miller and patient Tim Smith airs
• Thursday, Sept. 10: Lee Greenwood appears as a guest on Good Day Atlanta
• Thursday, Sept. 10: Lee Greenwood/Joe Gibbs AJC Peach Buzz item runs in print. (Screen shots attached.)
• Friday, Sept. 11: Short Joe Gibbs interview with Fred Kalil airs on CBS 46.
• Sunday, Sept. 13: Extended interview of Joe Gibbs with Fred Kalil airs during 11 p.m. hour.
• Thursday, Sept. 17: Fox 5 medical team airs segment with Dr. Miller on prostate cancer awareness.
by John Manasso, Media Relations Manager